One Room Challenge: Colorful Boho Bedroom Plans
It’s my favorite time of year! One Room Challenge time. I considered not participating this year, but I got major FOMO. So I decided to work on my daughter’s room for the challenge. She has requested a colorful, boho room.
The One Room Challenge is hosted by Linda of Calling It Home and Better Homes and Gardens. Twice a year, Linda has 20 featured designers makeover a room in their homes. She also invites everyone to play along as linking participants. There are usually over 200 of us, so plenty of inspiration to check out!
Previous One Room Challenges
The Room Before
We recently decluttered her room using the KonMari method. The before photos were pretty bad and I really should be embarrassed to put them on the internet. It was worse.
She got through it without arguing, so I promised her that we could update her room. I thought it would be a small update, but she had some pretty fun ideas, so it has grown a bit.
I’m trying to talk her into getting rid of this vanity.
She doesn’t use the desk. But she needs storage.
The white chair is coming out of here. And I need to paint the bottom portions of the wall that are still pink.
She hates the boring white curtains.
And the closet walls need to be repaired and repainted. Probably a fun color.
Colorful Boho Bedroom Plans
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Galaxy Mural. This is wallpaper, but I plan on painting a mural on her wall instead since it’s a weird size. This will be going on the wall beside her bed.
- Boho garland. We made this boho garland together on a Facebook live.
- Olympic Pansy Petal. This is the color of her walls.
- Teal curtains. She wanted colorful curtains.
- Play tent. I made her get rid of her box that she liked to play in and promised her something that looks a bit nicer.
- Bedding. I bought this duvet set for her bed and she loves it. Lots of fun colors to work with. And even though it doesn’t have purple in it, it reads like purple from far away.
- Swingasan chair. She asked if she can move this chair into her room. It’s not used very often, so I’m happy to give it to her.
- Pink overdyed rug. We have carpet upstairs, but I would like to disguise it with a rug. Besides, it’s another fun place to add more color.
- Purple sheets. It’s amazing how close these sheets are to the color of her walls.
To Do List:
- Paint mural
- Find or build a new bed
- Paint or replace remaining furniture
- Canopy? I love this idea!!
- Paint closet
- Paint the bottoms of wall by bookshelves
- Find/make curtains for closet
- Make a dreamcatcher
Boho Room Progress Posts
- Week 1: This post
- Week 2: DIY Galaxy Mural
- Week 3: Ombre Walls
- Week 4: DIY Dream Catcher
- Week 5: How to Build a Modern Canopy Bed
- Bonus: DIY Bone Inlay Stencil
- Week 6: Boho Bedroom Reveal
Emy is a vintage obsessed mama of 2 DIYer who loves sharing affordable solutions for common home problems. You don’t need a giant budget to create a lovely home. Read more…
This is going to come out so fab, Emmie! I love your ideas and girl’s rooms are so fun to make over! That swingasan would be the icing on the cake in this room. Good luck and I look forward to following along!
this is going tobe such a fun space!!! love the colors!
I love that you’re doing a space for your daughter as a reward for her cleaning and organizing! I can see some pretty fun things happening where the ceiling slopes! Looking forward to the progress.
What a great room! I love creating special places for my kids too! I bet she’s so excited!
This is going to be so fun! It looks like what I would want in my room if I was a teenage girl!
That bedding is just so dreamy and love the colors that you are using! So bold and beautiful they very much reflect you and your amazing creative soul my friend. I am so happy to be joining you again this season for the ORC and follow your journey.
Love the colors and the boho theme so much! What a lucky little gal. I know she will be so thrilled with this fabulous makeover. Looking so forward to seeing it come together.
Love the boho feel you are going with here. Your daughter is going to love it!
Very cool! I love all the colours, this is going to be an awesome room 🙂
It’s going to be great, Emy! I always enjoy watching you work with color. You’ve got a gift.
I’m so glad you’re doing the challenge! I love your style. Can’t wait to see how this space comes together 😍
I love this plan! The colors and the overall Bohemian theme really speak to me. I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.
Emy! What a fun plan, I can’t wait to see it all come together!
This room is going to be gorgeous! I love the hanging chair and the curtains you picked out!
I love the boho idea for your daughter’s room – I would have loved this as a kid! Can’t wait to see how it all comes together 🙂
How fun to work on her room together. I can’t wait to do that someday with my 4yo. Its going to look great!
How exciting can’t wait to see. Beautiful color choices. Good luck!