Learn how to make your own DIY chalk paint.
In my daughter’s boho bedroom makeover, I decided to reuse an existing dresser as a nightstand. The size was perfect and added storage is always nice.
It needed a paint job though, so I decided to make my own chalk paint so that it could match her room.
Reasons to Make DIY Chalk Paint
Cost. Pre-made chalk paint can be pricy. Making your own chalk paint is very affordable.
More Color Choices. Chalk paint normally comes in a small color palette. Making your own chalk paint allows you a greater variety in color. It also allows you to match your decor.
Coverage. DIY chalk paint has superior coverage. I find that it covers in 1-2 coats.
Can You Turn Regular Paint into Chalk Paint?
Yes! I make chalk paint with latex paint that I already own.
And so far, I’ve seen no difference between sheens. I’ve used gloss and flat with the same results. I’ve read that glossy paints get too thick, but chalk paint doesn’t last very long anyways.
How to Make DIY Chalk Paint
Keep in mind that DIY chalk paint doesn’t last long. To make it last longer, store it in an air tight container such as a mason jar in between use.
Even in an air tight container, it probably won’t last more than a week.
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Mixing DIY Chalk Paint
- Mix 1 tbsp of Plaster of Paris with 1 tbsp of water.
- Mix until is become a paste.
- Pour about 1/2 cup paint into the paste.
- Mix until blended well.
- If the mixture is too thick, add more water.
- Letting it sit for a few minutes will thicken the mixture.
- You might need to add water as you go if the mixture starts to thicken too much.
Paint Your Furniture
For this piece, I used a layered chalk paint technique to give it more depth. DIY chalk paint works great for this process and I was able to use the colors that I had already used in my daughter’s boho bedroom.
As you can see, the first coat covered pretty well for it to be a light color going over a dark color.
I painted a 2nd coat and added the blending technique for perfect coverage.
Learn how to make your own chalk paint. This is a great way to make chalk paint in custom colors.
- Latex Paint
- Plaster of Paris
- Mixing Cups
- Stir stick
- Mason Jar (for storage)
- Mix 1 tbs of Plaster of Paris and 1 tbs of water to form a paste.
- Add 1 cup of paint to the mixture.
- Stir until mixed well.
- Paint as usual.
Add more water as needed. The paint thickens over time.
- Dap 10310 Plaster of Paris Tub Molding Material, 8-Pound, White
- Custom Shop Pack of 12 Each 32 Ounce Paint Mix Cups with calibrated Mixing ratios on Side of Cup
- Purdy 144153325 XL Series Cub Angular Trim Paint Brush, 2-1/2 inch
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You might also like:
Pin for Later!