Learn my best stenciling tips for walls.
One Room Challenge: Bathroom Makeover
This is part of a series for the One Room Challenge. The end is near and my bathroom is starting to look pretty good if I do say so myself.
After not feeling very accomplished last week, I got the wall stenciling done this week. I’ve stenciled a floor and I’ve even stenciled curtains before, but this was my first time stenciling a wall. Today, I’m sharing some tips that I learned along the way.
What kind of paint do you use for stenciling walls?
I used latex wall paint for stenciling my walls. Acrylic paint can also be used, but latex usually has better coverage.
Can I make my own stencil?
You can! I have very detailed instructions on how to use a Silhouette to make your own stencils, plus how to make them without a cutting machine.
Stenciling Tips for Walls
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
How to Stencil a Wall
- First, perfection is overrated. If you need perfection, organic shaped stencils will probably make you happier. Or maybe just don’t stencil. The good thing is that the pattern tricks the eye into not seeing the mistakes! I used this coral stencil.
- Stenciling with an almost dry roller will give you the correct coverage. If the paint is too thick, it seeps under the stencil a bit. I loaded my foam roller, wiped as much off on the paint tray, and then rolled it on a paper towel before finally applying it to the wall.
- Large stencils are a bit of a pain. If I were to do this stencil again, I would purchase several of the smaller craft stencils instead. I ended up cutting my stencil apart to fill spaces. It’s a forgiving pattern, so this works well.
- If you use a large stencil, start at the top of the wall. This stencil came with a “top” piece that you should use first.
I also repainted the mirror and hung it back up. The bathroom is fully functioning again!
Still to do:
- Pipe shelves built and installed
- Hang shower curtain
- Light switch plates installed
- Shop for new towels and accessories
- Buy and hang bamboo blind
See the finished bathroom here!