Ugh, this week. Let’s just say that I’m going to be working extra this weekend. Last week, I made so much progress that I guess I got too confident. Now it’s Wednesday and I have nothing completed.
My office makeover is part of a $100 Room Challenge hosted by Erin at Lemons, Lavender and Laundry. We have 1 month to make over a room in our homes with a budget of only $100. This tiny budget encourages us to get creative and use up supplies that we already have on hand.
I’m going to blame my progress on the weather. We have had the most beautiful, warm temps to ever grace a January. Instead of spending my time inside working, I took the opportunity to work outside and paint furniture. I’m opening a 2nd vintage shop in February, so painting furniture in the sunshine has been a lovely change of pace.
I’m also going to blame the government. 😉 My husband was home due to the government shut down earlier this week and it’s not easy to get stuff done with him around. It’s funny because weekend are fine, but when he stays home on a weekday, the vibe is different. It messes up my work flow.
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Semigloss Design. Your support helps me continue making awesome stuff to share.
My chandelier has been taken apart and painted. I spray painted it white, but I wasn’t loving the shininess. So I added a few coats of cream chalk paint. Much better. Still needs to be rewired and to have crystals added.
My vintage filing cabinet has received 1 coat of paint. I did NOT want to paint this thing. But hubby disagreed. It had been spray-painted on at some point, plus it had tons of rust. So I primed all of the rust spots and gave it 1 coat of Modern Masters metallic paint in teal. When it came in the mail, I was so confused. It looked green online. The bottle is blue and the paint goes on blue, but it dried a bit more green. This paint is fabulous, by the way. Like nail polish, but water based. It’s so shiny!
The slipcovers have also been started. And by started, I mean fabric has been draped over a chair. I’m using drop cloth fabric because it’s cheap, thick and indestructible. And because I already had some. I might need to buy another one to finish the job though.
$100 Budget so far:
Modern Masters Primer $7
Modern Masters Bronze Paint $10
Modern Masters Blue Patina $6
Vintage chandelier $15
Chandelier crystals $17
Chandelier cord $6
Modern Masters Teal $12
Total Spent: $73
Still to do:
Rearrange and figure out a better floor plan
- Make slipcovers – Still working on this
IKEA Helmer hack
- Organize – waiting on filing cabinet
Finish painting dresser and install new knobs Remove armoire from room
- Install filing cabinet hardware in filing cabinet – I think I found some pieces that will work.
- Lighting – Rewire and hang crystals.
- Bring in my vintage filing cabinet – One more coat of paint. I might build a rolling cart for it.
I can’t wait to see how everyone else is doing this week! We’re almost to the finish line!