Learn how to make a DIY candle holder with gold leaf. These gold leaf candle holders look amazing lit up while I’m drinking from my cute starburst wine glasses!
One of the things that gets me through the winter is lighting a candle. Theres something so soothing about the flickering light of a candle on a cold day. To make it even more fun, I made some cute DIY candle holders. This process could be used on so many things. Wouldn’t a gold leaf vase be gorgeous?
Gold Leaf DIY Candle Holder
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Clear glass candle holder (or small vase – for larger candles)
- Gold leaf sheets*
- Metal leaf adhesive size
- Chip brush
- Paint brush
- Rubbing alcohol
*If you don’t like gold, there are other metals you can use!
- When working with gold leaf, it is very important to work in a room with no visible air flow. So turn off fans, work away from air vents. Close windows. Gold leaf is incredibly lightweight and you don’t want it to blow away as you’re working.
- Clean the glass for your DIY candle holder with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils that will prevent the adhesive from sticking.
- Paint a thin layer of adhesive size onto the glass.
- Keep the edges pretty random. Tipping it upside down makes the edge more organic. Keep in mind that the gold leaf will stick to any place the adhesive sits.
- Let the adhesive dry until it is clear. It should feel slightly sticky.
- Carefully take a sheet of gold leaf and place it on the glass over the glue.
- Break off the excess pieces and cover the rest of the adhesive until the glass is covered. You might need more than 1 sheet.
- Once your candleholder is sufficiently covered, take the chip brush and start brushing the gold leaf to remove the excess. The gold leaf sticks to the adhesive, but it also becomes burnished and beautiful.
- Continue brushing away the excess gold leaf and burnishing the vase until you’re happy. I love how textured it becomes.The small DIY candle holder holds a tea light, but a votive would work as well.
You might also like:
Pin for Later!