My kids are at the age where they invite friends over all the time and now that it’s summer, our house is feeling a little tight.
It felt like a good time to add a bit of extra seating for when our house for 4 needs to accommodate 3-4 extra people. A simple bench seemed like the perfect solution to add more seating. Learn how to make your own DIY bench.
Easy DIY Bench
- 1 Purebond Plywood Panel 2×4 (3/4″ thick in birch)
- Hairpin legs (16″)
- 2″ Foam
- Fabric (I used bleached drop cloth with a DIY mud cloth technique – tutorial)
- Staple gun
- Cut your plywood panel to the desired width and length. I cut mine to 18″, so that my finished DIY bench would measure 18″ x 48″, which is a great size for a bench. Go ahead and cut the fabric to size too. I left about 6″ extra around the wood so that it can wrap around everything.
- Cut the foam to size. Since it’s only 2″ thick, it can be cut with scissors.
- Place fabric wrong side up, then the batting, then place the foam on the fabric.
- Place the wood on the top of this, centered in the middle.
- Start stapling the batting around the edge. I like to place a staple on each side in the middle to be sure that my batting is nice and taut.
- Continue stapling around the edges.
- For the corners, I wrap it like a present and staple. Just try to make as little bulk as possible. Luckily batting, compresses nicely.
- Repeat these steps for the fabric.
- Cut off all the excess fabric.
- For the corners, I pull it and fold it to the inside, then fold it again. Staple in place.
- Place the legs equidistance from the edges, avoiding the fabric.
- Install the legs in each corner by drilling pilot holes and then using the drill to drive in each screw. I used washers as spacers because my screws weren’t quite the right size.
- If you still have unruly fabric bits, you can trim more off and add more staples to the edges.
- Flip your bench over and enjoy!
This simple DIY bench is perfect in the entry, but it’s lightweight enough to move to the dining table for extra seating.
I love how it looks with my shibori chairs!
It’s kind of fun to add a bench with the chairs at the table. I might end up keeping it here long term.