Learn how to make this DIY pom pom wreath that is perfect for winter. The yarn pom poms resemble snowballs and features cute felt mittens to hold greenery.
If you’re looking for more winter decor ideas, you might like this snowflake pillow.
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
How to Make a DIY Pom Pom Wreath
- Foam wreath form
- Thick yarn (I used about 6 skeins of yarn)
- Hot glue gun and hot glue
- Pom pom makers (There’s an extra-large size too!)
- Embroidery floss
Scroll down for the mitten template/ SVG or the pom pom template.
This pom pom wreath is a great way to use up yarn. You can make it using any color. I’ve even seen a lot of wreaths made with multicolored pom poms.
Be sure to check out this in-depth tutorial on making pom poms with a pom pom maker.
You don’t have to use a pom pom maker, but it makes it much easier. This wreath takes about 30 pom poms (12 extra large and 18 large.)
How to Make Pom Poms without a Maker
For the larger pom poms, I used cardboard to make a template.
Simply wrap the yarn around the cardboard. There’s a template at the bottom of the post. (Use a sharp utility knife to cut out the center portion.)
You need to wrap it a lot more than you think or you will end up with floppy pom poms. Wrap it around 250 times. Insert a length of yarn around the center and tie it tightly. (Leave the ends long.)
Then cut each end of the pom pom.
You might need to trim the ends and fluff it up to make it look cute. This pom pom is a bit too floppy.
Decorate for winter with this easy DIY pom pom wreath for your front door! Create a cozy look with this cute wreath!
- 14" Foam Wreath Form
- Thick Yarn
- Embroidery Floss
- Pom pom makers
- Hot glue gun
- Wrap the foam wreath form with yarn, securing the ends with hot glue.
- Make pom poms in various sizes. I needed about 30 pom poms to fill this wreath. Be sure to leave the strings long when tying the pom poms.
- Start by tying the large pom poms evenly around the wreath form.
- Fill any gaps with smaller pom poms.
- Add a dot of glue to the ties in the back to keep the pom poms in place.
- Your wreath can be finished here or you can add details like a bow and the felt mittens.
To make the mittens, cut 4 mittens out of felt.
Use embroidery floss to add details and sew them together.
Attach the mittens to a length of ribbon. Then attach the ribbon with another length of ribbon that is tied around the wreath.
Now you can add greenery to the mittens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
All downloads are for personal use only. Please do not redistribute or sell files.
Print scaled to 100% for best results.
You might also like:
Pin for Later!