This easy reverse canvas is perfect for Valentine’s Day! Featuring a hand-lettered phrase made of iron on vinyl, this sign is so easy to make!
According to most Valentine’s Day SVGs, people charge .25 for kisses. Well, I’m here to declare that my kisses are free!
So far, no one has taken me up on it, but there’s still hope. 😉
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
This reverse canvas sign features a hand lettered (by moi!) SVG that is perfect for Valentine’s Day. Scroll down to download cut file.
You might also like DIY stamped jewelry!
Reverse Canvas FAQs
What is a reverse canvas?
A reverse canvas is made from a cheap canvas from the craft store. The canvas is cut removed from the frame and placed on the back, leaving the frame exposed.
The frame can be painted or stained.
How do you remove staples from a canvas?
I LOVE my staple remover. I’ve used it for removing carpet from stairs and upholstery, but it’s also perfect for removing staples from canvas. It’s very affordable and handy to have in your tool box.
Alternatively, you can just use an exacto knife to cut around the canvas staples to remove it.
Can you iron vinyl on to canvas?
Yes. It’s easiest to work on the canvas while it’s detached from the frame.
How to Make a Reverse Canvas
What do you need to make a reverse canvas?
- Regular framed canvas
- Heat transfer vinyl
- Cricut Maker
- Weeding Tools
- Free Kisses SVG (Scroll down to download the file)
- Staple Remover
- Staple Gun
How to Lock Image Placement in Cricut Design
Coming from the Silhouette, I’m not finding the Cricut Design software intuitive at all. When I went to cut my image, it shuffled the entire image to save vinyl, I guess.
However, I really wanted this design to cut how I designed it. I didn’t want to have to figure out where each piece went.
- Upload your file to Cricut Design Space.
- Resize the image to fit the inside of the canvas frame. (If your image has multiple colors, select only one color at a time.
- Click attach at the bottom of the screen. This keeps the design whole.
- Click Make It.
- Be sure to mirror the image before sending to cut.
I used the generic setting for heat transfer vinyl and it cut way too deep. So I need to start playing with that since I mostly buy Oracle vinyl, not Cricut.
It was still workable, but weeding was a pain!
Learn how to make a reverse canvas sign for Valentine's Day. This easy to make sign used a regular canvas and HTV.
- Free Kisses SVG file (scroll down for download)
- Cricut Maker
- Weeding Tools
- Staple remover
- Staple gun
- Send design through your cutting machine, making sure that you resized the image to fit inside the canvas frame.
- Weed design.
- Use a staple remover to remove staples (Or use an exacto knife to cut canvas on back.)
- Paint or stain frame if desired.
- Choose the size of canvas you want to use: white or off white.
- Iron canvas to get rid of any wrinkles.
- Place weeded image centered on image.
- Place paper over the image.
- Iron the image 10-20 seconds on high, being sure to get the edges of the design.
- Remove carrier paper.
- Cut away excess canvas from edges.
- Place frame painted side down.
- Place canvas on top, image side down.
- Staple around edges.
Be sure to mirror your design.
You can use hot glue to attach canvas to frame if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Download a Free SVG for Valentine’s Day
All downloads are for personal use only. Please do not redistribute or sell files.
You might also like:
- Make a Snowflake Pillow with HTV
- How to Make Foil Art for Valentine’s Day
- Make Conversation Heart Mugs for Valentine’s Day
Pin for Later!