Organizing the stuff is very important when setting up a workshop that functions, as well as looks good. A pretty room means nothing if it doesn’t function well. Today, I’m sharing how to organize tools in a workshop or garage.
How to Organize Tools in a Workshop
- Start with a blank slate. Since we had to remove everything to stain the floor, it was the perfect opportunity to go through our stuff. We have only brought back the items that we actually want. Some stuff had been in there so long that we stopped even seeing it.
- Identify your problem areas. We tend to stack stuff in the middle of the garage, so to combat this, we placed shelves there instead. Since it was typically wood that we sat there, we found a new home for it.
- What work zones do you need? My husband and I tend to work in the garage at the same time, but typically it’s on our own projects. Since we know that working separately is our preferred method of working, we gave ourselves separate work zones in the garage.
- Group like with like. We sorted our stuff into bins for projects. All tiling supplies are together, all electrical stuff is together, etc. I’ve made labels and still need to attach them.
- Make a spot for lists. We constantly make to-do lists and shopping lists. Making a dedicated chalkboard area has boosted our productivity.
- Make good use of wall space. All of our large shovels and tools can now be easily found.
- Consider portable storage. We do work all over the house, not just in the garage, so portable storage for tools is very important. We bought a used rolling tool box and spray-painted it to match. A rolling table is also handy. For inside work, we have a smaller toolbox to bring inside.
- Keep often used tools easily accessible. We use our drills constantly, so it makes no sense to store them in their cases. However, my pneumatic stapler is only used occasionally, so it is kept in it’s case. A pegboard makes is a great way to organize tools in a workshop.
- Go for heavy duty. It was harder than I though to find an organizer for nails and screw that would actually hold up. Nails and screws are heavy! This thing weighs like 50 pounds.
It’s funny how much more productive we feel in our organized garage now!
My Favorite Workshop Organizing Items
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
In other news, our garage doors were installed and we are in love.