A few years ago, I tried to make a DIY ornament wreath and it was a candidate for a Pinterest fail. I had seen the image of the ornaments strung onto a coat hanger and it seemed so easy!
There were many problems with my attempt.
- Coat hangers are harder to bend than you think and I’m a wimp.
- When I did get it bent to the right shape, it was a floppy mess. A bit lopsided, too.
- I didn’t have enough ornaments, so it was basically a ring of ornaments.
I threw it away and vowed to try again. So I did. Today I’m sharing how to make an ornament wreath that doesn’t suck. As usual, the answer lies in hot glue.
How to Make a DIY Ornament Wreath
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Gather your supplies. I bought a large container of ornaments to use, but I also planned on using tiny ornaments that I already owned. Because we’re a clumsy family, I went with shatterproof bulbs for safety.
- Start gluing ornaments to the wreath form. I worked from the front at first, but then realized that it would be easier to glue from the back. Try not to cry when you burn yourself very badly. Hot glue is like the pizza of craft supplies: amazing, but dangerous.
- Cover as much of the wreath with large ornaments as possible.
- Flip over and start filling the gaps with more ornaments. You just have to stop adding ornaments at some point, because I feel like I could have just kept going until it no longer resembled a wreath.
- Admire your handiwork. Ignore the glitter that is now all over your hands, floor and your face. It’s worth it.
- Hang on a window on a clear 3M hook. Now the bright, colorful ornaments are a happy alternative to stare at while washing dishes instead of the dull, dreary landscape of winter.
And that’s how to make an ornament wreath! Have any craft battle scar stories to share? I have a bagel battle wound, but that’s another story.
Pin for Later!
If you liked this post, you might also like:
- How to hand paint floral ornaments
- How to make your own stockings
- Easy DIY Gift: Trinket Dishes
- How to make a simple tree skirt