DIY Decoupage Wood Ornaments for Christmas
Learn how to make these decoupage wood ornaments.
These decoupage ornaments are so easy to make. They’re so easy to customize to your style or even to give as gifts.
Be sure to check out these other easy DIY ornament ideas.
You might also like these easy paint swirl ornaments.
This post contains affiliate links. By purchasing an item through an affiliate link, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Decoupage Wood Ornaments
- Wood Ornament Blanks
- Old books, pretty paper, or even photos
- Decoupage glue
- Paint Brush
- Glitter Paint
- Baker’s twine or ribbon
- Hole punch
Paper for Decoupage Ornaments
I used old Little Golden Books for my ornaments because I love the illustrations.
You can find them for a dollar or two in thrift stores. Look for ones with cute illustrations that speak to you.
I also used map wrapping paper. It was a bit thicker and needed more glue.
The other paper I used was from an old book of prose. If you hate the thought of destroying books, you can make copies of the images instead.
Make sure that you use a laser printer or get them printed at a copy shop so that the ink doesn’t run.
Other ideas for papers to use:
- Pretty wrapping paper
- Paper napkins
- Scrapbook paper
- Patterned Tissue Paper
- Photos (use photo copies for best results)
Prep Work for the Decoupage Ornaments
- Create a template on scratch paper by tracing the wooden ornament blank and cutting it out.
- Trace the template onto images you want, trying to place the shape in a good place to capture the image you like. Be sure to pick 2 images (one for each side.)
- Dry fit the image on the wooden blank and cut away any excess bits of paper. (Your edges don’t have to be exact because the glitter will cover the mistakes.)
- Use a hole punch to cut a hole for the string.
- Once your images are cut out, pick out coordinating paint colors for the edges.
- Paint the edges, including the hole for the string.
- Let it dry and paint the other side.
Decoupaging the Paper
- After the paint has dried, apply a thin layer of decoupage glue to the wooden ornament. (Thicker papers need extra glue.)
- Attach the image, smoothing the image as you work.
- Apply extra glue under the edges if needed.
- Apply a thin layer of glue to the top (while the bottom layer is still wet.)
- Let it dry and repeat the steps for the back.
Click here to find out How to Fix Decoupage Mistakes.
Applying Glitter to the Edges of the Ornament
Look, I get it. Glitter is the worst. But glitter paint allows you to have shiny goodness without the mess. It’s kind of life-changing…
- Use a small round craft paint brush to apply glitter paint to the edges.
- When using glitter paint, you really want to glob it on for full coverage. Be super generous.
- If your edges are wobbly, you can use a brush to straighten the edges a bit.
- Don’t forget the hole for the string!
Attaching the String to the Ornament
I use simple baker’s twine to tie a loop for my ornaments. I love the graphic quality of the black and white string.
You can use twine for a rustic look or even ribbon.
DIY Christmas Decorations
Easy to make Christmas decorations for your home.
Fun Ways to Fill Clear Christmas Ornaments
Easy ways to fill clear ornaments
How to Make DIY Gold Leaf Ornaments
Gold Leaf Ornaments
How to Make Alcohol Ink Ornaments
Alcohol ink ornaments
Easy Floral Hand Painted Christmas Ornaments
Hand painted floral ornaments
How to Make a DIY Ornament Wreath
Simple ornament wreath
Make Your Own Christmas Ornaments: Paint Swirl Ornament
Paint swirl ornaments
DIY Retro Christmas Wreath with Tinsel and Ornaments
Tinsel and ornament wreath
DIY Christmas Tree Skirt Tutorial
Easy tree skirt sewing tutorial
DIY Flocked Christmas Tree: Saving a Yellowed White Christmas Tree
How to flock a white Christmas tree
How to Make DIY Bottle Brush Trees
Colorful bottle brush trees
Christmas Stocking Tutorial for Non-Perfectionists
Christmas stocking sewing tutorial
Learn How to Make Stocking Name Tags with Chalk Markers
Stocking name tags
The Cutest Wooden House DIY Stocking Holder!
Wooden house stocking holder
How to Make a Boho DIY Wreath with Agate Slices
Agate slice wreath
Make Your Own Holiday Gift Tags!
DIY gift tags with washi tape
Gift Card Holder Template - Free Printable Template
Gift card envelope template
Printable Snowflake Gift Tags for Presents
Printable snowflake gift tags
You might also like:
Pin for Later!
Emy is a vintage obsessed mama of 2 DIYer who loves sharing affordable solutions for common home problems. You don’t need a giant budget to create a lovely home. Read more…